Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP Professional SP3 is allergic to Windows XP Repair, the repair tool on the Windows installation CD-ROM for desperate people with strange Windows problems.
The main symptoms include this error when opening links in programs such as Microsoft Office Outlook 2007:
Another symptom is that Internet Explorer won’t browse web pages. Some links work, but many bring up the error:
These errors occur consistently as soon as the Windows Repair is complete.
Windows Repair reverts to MSIE version 6, but it doesn’t uninstall all of MSIE 8. Maybe it should be called “Windows Break” instead? 🙂
- Run this command to uninstall MSIE 8:
- Reboot Windows when prompted.
- Click Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Set Program Access and Defaults.
- Set the default browser to Internet Explorer. (If you like Firefox, you can change it back later).
- Click OK.